ASX Today: Rise & Shine – ASX to strengthen following tech rally in the US
Here is today’s morning wrap up:
US Exchange Overnight
As volatility on cryptocurrency markets subsided, US stocks rose for the first time in three sessions. Likewise, as government yields fell, technology stocks outperformed.
The Dow Jones gained +0.55% or +188.11 points and the S&P 500 followed, by gaining +1.06% or +43.44 points overnight. The Nasdaq, Based on technology, rallied overnight gaining +1.77% or +236 points. This may impact local tech stocks today. Visit our Live Tracker here.
- Tesla (TSLA) rebounded with a +4.14% or +23.32 dollars gain,
- Apple (AAPL) Shares gained overnight with a +2.10% drop or +2.62 dollars,
- Walt Disney (DIS) rebounded overnight, up 1.23% or +2.09 dollars.
After Wall Street ended a three-day losing streak, and the tech stocks the local ASX market is expected to open higher this morning.
Yesterday’s ASX recap (LInk here)
S&P/ASX 200 bounced today gaining +1.27% or +87.90 points as crypto currency follows.
What stocks to watch today
The stocks to watch out for today are yesterday’s best gainers; these are listed on our daily wrap-up of each trading day. For a wrap-up of the 20th of May, Gainers click here.
Trading Halts Today (Friday):
Toro Energy (TOE.ASX) – capital raising
Encounter Resources (ENR.ASX) – option agreement update
Equus Mining (EQE.ASX) – capital raising
- Brent Crude Oil down -2.77% to a total of $65.10 USD/BBL (Taken from IRESS data).
- Iron Ore down overnight to a price of $210.50(USD/MT) and a -2.77% move (Taken from IRESS data).
- Uranium price remaining the same to a total of $31 (USD/LBS) (Taken from IRESS data).
- Gold on the ASX Market Wrap up Gold experienced an increase of +0.47% to a price of $1877.42 (Taken from IRESS data).
- Copper down again -0.44% to a price of $4.55 (USD/lb)(Taken from IRESS data).
- Silver up overnight with a +0.51% move to a price of $27.76 (USD/t)(Taken from IRESS data).
- To Keep up with the latest news and Commodity Prices, make sure to check out our News Ticker Here.
Understand Mining Grade Results
A company has just released an announcement with base metal findings, energy, fertilizers, or precious metals in most scenarios. But you are left unsure whether the announcement is even good news or bad news! The team at DavidBeshay has created an easy guide for you to print out and track if a company has released good or bad grades to help you invest. Click the image below:
Panic selling ensued as a result of China’s crypto crackdown. Bitcoin dropped as low as US$30,445 after reaching an all-time peak above US$64,000 last month. The digital token has since then recovered reaching a high of US$42500.85 and retreating to high US$30000’s
Bitcoin: US$39827.36 up +1.26%.
Dogecoin: US$0.39230 up +7.12%.
Ethereum: US$2735.26 up +2.28%.
- Following China’s tough shift, major cryptocurrencies have taken a fall. – News
- Experts predict additional losses for Qantas as the airline struggles to cope with the COVID-19 outbreak. – News
- After 11 days of the war, Israel and Hamas have agreed to call a ceasefire in Gaza. – News
- A math instructor in Idaho disarmed and hugged a student who had brought a gun to school and had shot three people. – ABC News
- A fire breaks out in a shop in Kensington, prompting smoke advisories for Docklands, North Melbourne, and Footscray. – 7 News
- Our Facebook group has grown substantially! Don’t miss a thing. Join the FREE group here.
That is this morning’s ASX wrap-up; as always, stay safe and happy trading.