ASX Today: rise & shine – dubious conditions leaves markets confused
Here is today’s morning wrap up:
On Thursday, the US stock market was mixed. As a sharp drop in unemployment insurance claims to 16-month lows signalling the economy’s sustained reopening, technology stocks were the hardest hit. Apple shares were down 0.5 percent, Amazon was down 1.4 percent, and Facebook was down 0.9 percent. When the country was in lockdown, these businesses thrived. Morgan Stanley’s stock increased 0.2 percent after the company reported profits.
The Dow Jones moved higher with a +0.15% move or +53.790 points. The S&P 500, moving -0.33% or -14.270 points. Based on technology, the Nasdaq was down overnight, closing with a -0.70% loss or -101.819 points.
As most of Australia goes into lockdown, this morning, the Australian stock market is projected to start Friday lower. The ASX 200 is predicted to open the day 6 points or 0.08 percent lower today, according to the latest SPI futures.
Previous Day ASX Wrap Up (LInk here)
The S&P/ASX 200 has dropped 19 points, or 0.26 percent, to 7335.9 in afternoon trade. Banks, health care, and information technology companies all fell, while more restrictions and lockdowns hurt travel and entertainment stocks due to new Covid restrictions in Melbourne. The materials and utilities sectors were the two that managed to make some gains today.
What stocks to watch today
The stocks to watch for the ASX today are yesterday’s best gainers; these are listed on our daily wrap-up of each trading day. For a wrap-up of the previous trading, day Gainers click here.
Bitcoin: US$31,812.93 -3.29% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Ethereum: US$1,921.65 -3.80% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Dogecoin: US$0.187074 -5.53% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data)
Day trading Thread Now Open – July 16th
Each trading day, we feature breakfast from around the world as we discuss which trading opportunities present themselves. Today we discover traditional Moldova’s food. Click here to post your thoughts.
Companies listed below are currently in a trading halt and are expected to resume trading within the next few trading days:
Matsa Resources (ASX:MAT) – capital raising
Whitefield (ASX:WHF) – capital raising
Los Cerros (ASX:LCL) – capital raising
OceanaGold (ASX:OGC) – Didipio Mine update
EROAD (ASX:ERD) – capital raising
Carnavale Resources (ASX:CAV) – drilling results
RareX (ASX:REE) – resource upgrade
GBM Resources (ASX:GBZ) – project acquisition
Predictive Discovery (ASX:PDI) – exploration results
Digital Wine Ventures (ASX:DW8) – capital raising
Aeon Metals (ASX:AML) – capital raising
Heron Resources (ASX:HRR) – strategic process update
Selfwealth (ASX:SWF) – capital raising
|Brent Crude Oil||73.13||75.57||-1.75%||USD/BBL|
- As the outbreak grows to 16 patients, Victoria will be put on lockdown. – News
- The required mask regulation has been reinstated as Victoria’s COVID-19 exposure locations and case numbers escalate. – ABC
- A nurse at Sydney’s Westmead Hospital has tested positive for COVID-19, and a positive case has also been found at Liverpool Hospital. – ABC
- Three communities in remote NSW have been placed on high alert due to fears of the virus spreading. – News
- As the state of New South Wales prepares to extend the lockdown, there is a call for stricter restrictions. – News
- Vaccine specialists advise patients in outbreak areas to get their second vaccination as soon as possible. COVID-19 dosage from AstraZeneca. – ABC
- A millionaire was punished after allegedly departing the state of New South Wales on a superyacht. – News
- Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic test flight has successfully launched into space. – ABC
- The Taliban claim to rule 85 percent of Afghanistan, sparking a refugee exodus. – ABC
- After a wet weekend in Perth, expect more violent storms. – 9 News
- The number of Covid-19 cases in NSW is anticipated to reach 100 today. – News
- Heavy rain is expected to continue over the weekend in NSW. – 9 News
- Employers will search the online histories of more than two million Australians. – News
- NSW is considering allowing Delta to roam freely in the community. News
- On Friday, NSW Police will undertake a large operation in south-western Sydney to ensure that public health orders are followed. – ABC
- During the third week of Sydney’s lockdown, more people will get a $500 assistance payment. – News
That is this morning’s ASX wrap-up; as always, stay safe and happy trading.
Want something added to the rise & shine? Leave a comment below.
Learn to invest in yourself before the market: