ASX Today: rise & shine – positive earnings push US markets higher
Here is today’s morning wrap up:
On Wednesday, the US markets soared in response to solid earnings news and optimistic economic forecasts. Energy increased by 3.5 percent, while airlines increased by 3.3 percent and the Hotels, Restaurants, and Leisure index increased by 2.9 percent. United Airlines’ stock increased by 3.8 percent as travel demand increased. On earnings announcement, Chipotle’s stock climbed 11.5 percent, while Coca-stock Cola’s rose 1.3 percent.
The Dow Jones moved higher with a +0.83% move or +286.010 points. The S&P 500, moving +0.82% or +35.630 points. Based on technology, the Nasdaq was up overnight, closing with a +0.92% gain or +133.076 points.
This morning, the Australian stock market is projected to start Wednesday higher. The ASX 200 is predicted to open the day 64 points or 0.89 percent higher today, according to the latest SPI futures.
Previous Day ASX Wrap Up (LInk here)
The Australian stock market managed to rebound and recover most of its gains on Wednesday. The S&P/ ASX200 gaining 56.50 points, or 078 percent, Most sectors finished green today, whilst information technology and industrials weren’t able to fully recover.
What stocks to watch today
The stocks to watch for the ASX today are yesterday’s best gainers; these are listed on our daily wrap-up of each trading day. For a wrap-up of the previous trading, day Gainers click here.
Day trading Thread Now Open – July 22nd
Each trading day, we feature breakfast from around the world as we discuss which trading opportunities present themselves. Today we discover traditional South Africa’s food. Click here to post your thoughts.
Companies listed below are currently in a trading halt and are expected to resume trading within the next few trading days:
Acrow Formwork and Construction Services (ASX:ACF)
Pivotal Systems (ASX:PVS)
Boab Metals (ASX:BML)
Icannex Healthcare (ASX:IHL)
Piedmont Lithium (ASX:PLL) – price query
Bard1 Life Sciences (ASX:BD1) – capital raising
Peak Resources (ASX:PEK) – mining licence
WestStar Industrial (ASX:WSI) – contract award
Vonex Limited (ASX:VN8) – funding for proposed acquisition
Dateline Resources (ASX:DTR) – capital raising
Bitcoin: US$32,042.83 +8.11% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Ethereum: US$1,979.15 +11.14% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Dogecoin: US$0.189470 +11.99% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data)
|Brent Crude Oil||72.14||73.13||73.24||4.61%||USD/BBL|
- Alexa Leary, a triathlete from the Sunshine Coast, is fighting for her life following a horrific bike accident. – News
- The head of the organising committee has hinted that the Games may be cancelled. – News
- Sydney removalists mourn mum after Covid death – News
- As the number of cases rises, the Victoria covid lockdown may be prolonged. – News
- Project hosts shocked by guest’s grim prediction for Sydney lockdown – News
- As NSW registers 97 covid cases, tougher restrictions may be on the way. – News
- As the outbreak grows to 16 patients, Victoria will be put on lockdown. – News
- The required mask regulation has been reinstated as Victoria’s COVID-19 exposure locations and case numbers escalate. – ABC
- A nurse at Sydney’s Westmead Hospital has tested positive for COVID-19, and a positive case has also been found at Liverpool Hospital. – ABC
- Three communities in remote NSW have been placed on high alert due to fears of the virus spreading. – News
- As the state of New South Wales prepares to extend the lockdown, there is a call for stricter restrictions. – News
- Vaccine specialists advise patients in outbreak areas to get their second vaccination as soon as possible. COVID-19 dosage from AstraZeneca. – ABC
- A millionaire was punished after allegedly departing the state of New South Wales on a superyacht. – News
That is this morning’s ASX wrap-up; as always, stay safe and happy trading.
Want something added to the rise & shine? Leave a comment below.
Learn to invest in yourself before the market: