ASX Today: rise & shine – rocky start to the week as Covid lingers
Here is today’s morning wrap up:
The US markets fell on Friday. Shares in technology sank, while those in the safe-haven real estate and utilities sectors climbed. Amazon’s stock dropped 1.6 percent, while Nvidia’s stock dropped 4.3 percent. The increased frequency of Covid-19 Delta variant cases alarmed investors. Moderna’s shares jumped 10.3% after it was announced that it would be included in the S&P 500 index.
The Dow Jones moved lower with a -0.86% move or -299.170 points. The S&P 500, moving -0.75% or -32.870 points. Based on technology, the Nasdaq was down overnight, closing with a -0.80% loss or -115.896 points.
This morning, the Australian stock market is projected to start Monday lower. The ASX 200 is predicted to open the day 37 points or 0.51 percent lower today, according to the latest SPI futures.
Previous Day ASX Wrap Up (LInk here)
The Australian stock market recovered this afternoon, with the S&P/ ASX200 rising 12.2 points, or 0.17 percent, to an intraday high of 7348.1. The majority of sectors finished on a positive note with consumer discretionary sector closing the highest, however energy, telecommunications and utilities finished in the red. Overall the Australian index has closed higher for the week despite news of lockdowns.
What stocks to watch today
The stocks to watch for the ASX today are yesterday’s best gainers; these are listed on our daily wrap-up of each trading day. For a wrap-up of the previous trading, day Gainers click here.
Day trading Thread Now Open – July 19th
Each trading day, we feature breakfast from around the world as we discuss which trading opportunities present themselves. Today we discover traditional Moldova’s food. Click here to post your thoughts.
Companies listed below are currently in a trading halt and are expected to resume trading within the next few trading days:
RareX (ASX:REE) – resource upgrade
GBM Resources (ASX:GBZ) – project acquisition
Predictive Discovery (ASX:PDI) – exploration results
Digital Wine Ventures (ASX:DW8) – capital raising
Aeon Metals (ASX:AML) – capital raising
Heron Resources (ASX:HRR) – strategic process update
Selfwealth (ASX:SWF) – capital raising
|Brent Crude Oil||73.23||73.13||0.14%||USD/BBL|
- As the number of cases rises, the Victoria covid lockdown may be prolonged. – News
- Project hosts shocked by guest’s grim prediction for Sydney lockdown – News
- As NSW registers 97 covid cases, tougher restrictions may be on the way. – News
- As the outbreak grows to 16 patients, Victoria will be put on lockdown. – News
- The required mask regulation has been reinstated as Victoria’s COVID-19 exposure locations and case numbers escalate. – ABC
- A nurse at Sydney’s Westmead Hospital has tested positive for COVID-19, and a positive case has also been found at Liverpool Hospital. – ABC
- Three communities in remote NSW have been placed on high alert due to fears of the virus spreading. – News
- As the state of New South Wales prepares to extend the lockdown, there is a call for stricter restrictions. – News
- Vaccine specialists advise patients in outbreak areas to get their second vaccination as soon as possible. COVID-19 dosage from AstraZeneca. – ABC
- A millionaire was punished after allegedly departing the state of New South Wales on a superyacht. – News
That is this morning’s ASX wrap-up; as always, stay safe and happy trading.
Want something added to the rise & shine? Leave a comment below.
Learn to invest in yourself before the market: