ASX Today: rise & shine – US markets, bitcoin and oil all down
Here is today’s morning wrap up:
On Monday, US markets dipped further on fears that rising Covid19 Delta case numbers could lead to more lockdowns and a longer economic recovery. The Energy sector was also hampered by a 7% drop in oil prices (-3.6 percent ). Airlines were down 3.8 percent, banks were down 3.3 percent, and the Hotel and Restaurants index was down 2.7 percent. This week, investors are expecting more earnings reports.
The Dow Jones moved lower with a -2.09% move or -725.810 points. The S&P 500, moving -1.59% or -68.670 points. Based on technology, the Nasdaq was down overnight, closing with a -1.06% loss or -152.253 points.
This morning, the Australian stock market is projected to start Tuesday lower. The ASX 200 is predicted to open the day 68 points or 0.94 percent lower today, according to the latest SPI futures.
Previous Day ASX Wrap Up (LInk here)
The Australian stock market fell on Monday, the S&P/ ASX200 shedding 62.10 points, or 0.85 percent, following similar movements in the United States on Friday due to concerns of COVID’s Delta variant’s spread. Most sectors finished red today, whilst Health care, consumer staples, utilities, and information technology managed to finish in the green. Materials fell the most today, experiencing a 2.44% loss as Chalice Mining Limited fell 9.65%.
What stocks to watch today
The stocks to watch for the ASX today are yesterday’s best gainers; these are listed on our daily wrap-up of each trading day. For a wrap-up of the previous trading, day Gainers click here.
Day trading Thread Now Open – July 20th
Each trading day, we feature breakfast from around the world as we discuss which trading opportunities present themselves. Today we discover traditional Norway’s food. Click here to post your thoughts.
Companies listed below are currently in a trading halt and are expected to resume trading within the next few trading days:
Australian Strategic Materials (ASX:ASM) – investment in Dubbo Project
Woomera Mining (ASX:WML) – drilling results and price query
Total Brain Limited (ASX:TTB) – capital raising
Jervois Mining (ASX:JRV) – acquisition and equity raising
Helios Energy (ASX:HE8) – capital raising
Kula Gold (ASX:KGD) – capital raising
Ragnar Metals (ASX:RAG) – exploration results
Bitcoin: US$30,885.35 -2.05% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Ethereum: US$1,823.38 -3.61% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Dogecoin: US$0.174724 -3.50% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data)
|Brent Crude Oil||68.75||73.13||-6.12%||USD/BBL|
- Sydney removalists mourn mum after Covid death – News
- As the number of cases rises, the Victoria covid lockdown may be prolonged. – News
- Project hosts shocked by guest’s grim prediction for Sydney lockdown – News
- As NSW registers 97 covid cases, tougher restrictions may be on the way. – News
- As the outbreak grows to 16 patients, Victoria will be put on lockdown. – News
- The required mask regulation has been reinstated as Victoria’s COVID-19 exposure locations and case numbers escalate. – ABC
- A nurse at Sydney’s Westmead Hospital has tested positive for COVID-19, and a positive case has also been found at Liverpool Hospital. – ABC
- Three communities in remote NSW have been placed on high alert due to fears of the virus spreading. – News
- As the state of New South Wales prepares to extend the lockdown, there is a call for stricter restrictions. – News
- Vaccine specialists advise patients in outbreak areas to get their second vaccination as soon as possible. COVID-19 dosage from AstraZeneca. – ABC
- A millionaire was punished after allegedly departing the state of New South Wales on a superyacht. – News
That is this morning’s ASX wrap-up; as always, stay safe and happy trading.
Want something added to the rise & shine? Leave a comment below.
Learn to invest in yourself before the market: