ASX Today: Rise & Shine, US Markets Down ASX To Settle
Here is today’s morning wrap up:
US Exchange Overnight
The Dow Jones shed its gains overnight, losing another -0.48% or -164.62 points and the S&P 500 followed, losing a total of -0.29% or -12.15 points overnight. The Nasdaq, Based on technology, lost a total of –0.029% or -3.90 points. This may impact local tech stocks today. Visit our Live Tracker here.
- Tesla (TSLA) dropped further with a -2.49% or -14.41 dollars,
- Apple (AAPL) dropped further with a -0.13% drop or -0.16 dollars,
- Walt Disney (DIS) dived again overnight, down -0.24% or -0.41 dollars.
On Thursday, the Australian stock market is expected to be quiet. The ASX 200 is forecast to open 3 points higher this morning, according to the latest SPI futures.
Yesterday’s ASX recap (LInk here)
S&P/ASX 200 dived today wiping away yesterday gains with a decrease of -1.90% or +134.30 points.
What stocks to watch today
The stocks to watch out for today are yesterday’s best gainers; these are listed on our daily wrap-up of each trading day. For a wrap-up of the 19th of May, Gainers click here.
Trading Halts Today (Thursday):
Laybuy (LBY.ASX) – capital raising
Manas Resources (MSR.ASX) – capital raising
Artemis Resources (ARV.ASX) – capital raising update
PPK Group (PPK.ASX) – joint venture
Province Resources (PRL.ASX) – announcement
- Brent Crude Oil down -3.17% to a total of $66.30 USD/BBL (Taken from IRESS data).
- Iron Ore gaining some ground to a price of $216.50(USD/MT) and a +3.84% move (Taken from IRESS data).
- Uranium price jumping up today by +0.16% to a total of $31 (USD/LBS) (Taken from IRESS data).
- Gold on the ASX Market Wrap up Gold experienced a decrease of -0.1% to a price of $1869.1 (Taken from IRESS data).
- Copper down -2.75% to a price of $4.59 (USD/lb)(Taken from IRESS data).
- Silver down -1.67% to a price of $27.71 (USD/t)(Taken from IRESS data).
- To Keep up with the latest news and Commodity Prices, make sure to check out our News Ticker Here.
Understand Mining Grade Results
A company has just released an announcement with base metal findings, energy, fertilizers, or precious metals in most scenarios. But you are left unsure whether the announcement is even good news or bad news! The team at DavidBeshay has created an easy guide for you to print out and track if a company has released good or bad grades to help you invest. Click the image below:
Panic selling ensued as a result of China’s crypto crackdown. Bitcoin dropped as low as US$30,445 overnight after reaching an all-time peak above US$64,000 last month. The digital token was recently trading at US$38,585, down 10.9 percent. China declared a ban on financial institutions using cryptocurrency on Tuesday.
Bitcoin: $50,592.45 down -8.17%.
Dogecoin: $0.481046 down –24.05%.
Ethereum: $3423.63 down -21.22%.
- Following China’s tough shift, major cryptocurrencies have taken a fall. – News
- The Queensland government has announced a $7.5 million programme to attract staff to employment in rural tourism. – ABC
- In the aftermath of the COVID tragedy, India is struck by the strongest cyclone to ever hit the west coast. – 7 News
- Pindan’s directors express regret after the company goes bankrupt, owing up to $100 million. The West Australian
- Seventy-seven people have gone missing at sea as a result of Cyclone Tauktae in India. – BBC
- Our Facebook group has grown substantially! Don’t miss a thing. Join the FREE group here.
That is this morning’s ASX wrap-up; as always, stay safe and happy trading.