ASX Today: Rise & Shine, US Markets Down Overnight
Here is today’s morning wrap up:
US Exchange Overnight
The Dow Jones declined overnight, losing -0.16% gain or -54.34 points, and the S&P 500 followed, losing a total of -0.25% or -10.56 points overnight. The Nasdaq, Based on technology, lost a total of –0.38% or -50.93 points. This may impact local tech stocks today. Visit our Live Tracker here.
- Tesla (TSLA) dropped -2.19% or -12.91 dollars,
- Apple (AAPL) dropped -0.93% or -1.18 dollars,
- Walt Disney (DIS) dived again today, down -2.08% or -3.62 dollars.
Despite a weak start to the week on Wall Street, the Australian stock market looks likely to rise on Tuesday. The ASX 200 is forecast to open 16 points or 0.2 percent higher this morning, according to the latest SPI futures.
Yesterday’s ASX recap
S&P/ASX 200 finished the day up +0.13% or +9.40 points. Market Recovered as the financials and materials sectors lifted the others.
What stocks to watch today
The stocks to watch out for today are yesterday’s best gainers; these are listed on our daily wrap-up of each trading day. For a wrap-up of the 14th of May, Gainers click here.
Trading Halts Today (Tuesday):
Holista Colltech (HCT.ASX) – announcement clarification
Helix Resources (HLX.ASX) – capital raising
New Listing Today
Audeara Limited (AUA.ASX) – 18 May 2021 11:00 AM AEST
|Listing date||18 May 2021 11:00 AM AEST ##|
1300 251 539
|Principal Activities||Development and commercialisation of headphones and other assistive listening devices|
|GICS industry group||TBA|
|Issue Type||Ordinary Fully Paid Shares|
|Capital to be Raised||$7,000,000|
Brent Crude Oil
Brent crude oil up overnight by +0.29% to US$69.11 per barrel, according to live Commsec data.
Iron Ore prices down overnight with a -5.52% decline to a price of $205.50 (USD/MT), according to live Commsec data. Will this be the end of Iron Ore run? We will be closely monitoring for market recovery.
According to CNBC, gold dwindled today to a price of $1,867.20 US per ounce. From its 52 week low of $1670.30 US, Gold has been able to recover nicely in 2021; however, will it ever reach its previous high of $2072.90 US?
Want to know if a company’s mining grades are high grade or low grade? Our handy trading spreadsheet is now available – click the image on the right.
According to Market Index, Copper strong today, closing to a price of $4.72 USD/lb dropping. Copper has a total of 50.59% return in 1 year! We will shortly provide a link with all Copper stocks on the ASX.
Uranium prices remain the same with a price of $30.95 (USD/LBS), according to live Commsec data. The uranium stocks to keep on your watch list are:
- GTI Resources Limited (GTR.ASX)
- Thor Mining (THR.ASX)
- Alligator Energy Limited (AGE.ASX)
Silver closed higher to a price of $28.315 USD or +0.15%, according to CNBC.
- China’s trade war with Australia isn’t going smoothly. – The Sydney Morning Herald
- Almost a quarter of Australia’s Covid vaccines have never been used. – Daily Mail
- The Royal Australian Air Force and Navy are racing to rescue 26 Indonesian sailors stranded off the coast of Perth. – 7 News
- Kia models have been recalled due to concerns that the engines could catch fire even when turned off. – ABC News
- Israel is ‘attacking’ the Gaza Strip but denies invasion – 9 News.
- Our Facebook group has grown substantially! Don’t miss a thing. Join the FREE group here.
That is this morning’s ASX wrap-up; as always, stay safe and happy trading.