ASX today – wrap up, Aussie market down following US Covid concerns
Good afternoon! Here is a quick summary:
The Australian stock market fell on Monday, the S&P/ ASX200 shedding 62.10 points, or 0.85 percent, following similar movements in the United States on Friday due to concerns of COVID’s Delta variant’s spread. Most sectors finished red today, whilst Health care, consumer staples, utilities, and information technology managed to finish in the green. Materials fell the most today, experiencing a 2.44% loss as Chalice Mining Limited fell 9.65%.
(This morning ASX’s Rise & Shine)
The US markets fell on Friday. Shares in technology sank, while those in the safe-haven real estate and utilities sectors climbed. Amazon’s stock dropped 1.6 percent, while Nvidia’s stock dropped 4.3 percent. The increased frequency of Covid-19 Delta variant cases alarmed investors. Moderna’s shares jumped 10.3% after it was announced that it would be included in the S&P 500 index.
The Dow Jones moved lower with a -0.86% move or -299.170 points. The S&P 500, moving -0.75% or -32.870 points. Based on technology, the Nasdaq was down overnight, closing with a -0.80% loss or -115.896 points.
(This morning ASX’s Rise & Shine)
This morning, the Australian stock market is projected to start Monday lower. The ASX 200 is predicted to open the day 37 points or 0.51 percent lower today, according to the latest SPI futures.
Today on the ASX Wrap up:
Health Care Sector (XHJ) +1.62%
- Top gainer – Polynovo Limited (PNV.ASX) +3.4% and closing to a price of $2.130 per share.
- Lowest gainer – Nanosonics Limited (NAN.ASX) -1.31% and closing to $5.260 per share.
Financials Sector (XFJ) -0.88%
- National Australia Bank Limited (NAB.ASX) -1.19% and closing to $25.650 per share.
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA.ASX) -0.52% and closing to a price of $97.680 per share.
Information Technology (XIJ) +0.08%
- Afterpay Limited (APT.ASX) +1.64% and closing to $104.900 per share.
- Xero Limited (XRO.ASX) +1.05% and closing to $138.640 per share.
|Brent Crude Oil||72.79||73.13||-0.60%||USD/BBL|
Post Market Thread Now Open
Due to feedback received, we have now re-designed our new DB Stock Forum 2.0. Our first forum had some issues; since then, we have created a new forum that is easier to use and faster. We are in the process of merging the users onto our new forum. However. For those who haven’t yet signed up for free. Feel free to create a FREE account by clicking here
Companies listed below are currently in a trading halt and are expected to resume trading within the next few trading days:
RareX (ASX:REE) – resource upgrade
GBM Resources (ASX:GBZ) – project acquisition
Predictive Discovery (ASX:PDI) – exploration results
Digital Wine Ventures (ASX:DW8) – capital raising
Aeon Metals (ASX:AML) – capital raising
Heron Resources (ASX:HRR) – strategic process update
Selfwealth (ASX:SWF) – capital raising
Bitcoin: US$31,770.27 -0.71% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Ethereum: US$1,904.02 -3.40% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Dogecoin: US$0.180025 -4.53% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data)
- As the number of cases rises, the Victoria covid lockdown may be prolonged. – News
- Project hosts shocked by guest’s grim prediction for Sydney lockdown – News
- As NSW registers 97 covid cases, tougher restrictions may be on the way. – News
- As the outbreak grows to 16 patients, Victoria will be put on lockdown. – News
- The required mask regulation has been reinstated as Victoria’s COVID-19 exposure locations and case numbers escalate. – ABC
- A nurse at Sydney’s Westmead Hospital has tested positive for COVID-19, and a positive case has also been found at Liverpool Hospital. – ABC
- Three communities in remote NSW have been placed on high alert due to fears of the virus spreading. – News
- As the state of New South Wales prepares to extend the lockdown, there is a call for stricter restrictions. – News
- Vaccine specialists advise patients in outbreak areas to get their second vaccination as soon as possible. COVID-19 dosage from AstraZeneca. – ABC
- A millionaire was punished after allegedly departing the state of New South Wales on a superyacht. – News
Today’s Biggest Nano – Mid Cap Gainers
Post-market we provide an update with the market movers above 5% (nano – mid-market cap)
Nano-Cap ASX Gainers– Above 5%
Today’s ASX Market Wrap up Nano ASX Cap gainers:
Micro-Cap ASX Gainers– Above 5%
Today’s micro-cap gainers:
Small-Cap ASX Market Gainers – Above 5%
Today small-cap gainers:
Mid-Cap ASX Market Gainers – Above 3%
Today mid-cap gainers:
That is today’s ASX wrap-up; as always, stay safe and happy trading.
Want something added to the rise & shine? Leave a comment below.
Learn to invest in yourself before the market: