ASX today – wrap up, inflation & interest rate fears take over the market
Good afternoon! Here is a quick summary:
On the ASX today, the S&P/ASX 200 opened lower and moved even lower before recovering to a close of 7235.300 with a -1.81% or -133.60 points, bouncing from a low of 7216.600. Fears of inflation and concerns that US interest rates may begin to rise sooner than expected as the economy continues to show significant signs of improvement drove the market into a selling frenzy. Aussie shares experienced their biggest setback in a month.
(Recap From 21st June Rise & Shine)
On Friday, US stock markets fell on fears that the US Federal Reserve may begin hiking interest rates sooner than predicted. President of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, James Bullard, believes that interest rate hikes in the United States will begin next year as inflation rises. The quarterly expiration of both US options and futures contracts added to the volatility
Overnight the US markets took a beating. The Dow Jones slipped lower overnight with a -1.58% move or -533.370 points. The S&P 500 lost overnight, moving -1.31% or -55.410 points. Based on technology, the Nasdaq was down overnight, with a -0.92% loss or -130.974 points.
Popular US shares performances:
Tesla (TSLA) up overnight with a +1.09% gain or +6.71 dollars,
Apple (AAPL) down overnight with a -1.01% loss or -1.33 dollars,
Amazon (AMZN) down overnight with a -0.07% loss or -2.34 dollars per share,
Microsoft (MSFT) down overnight with a -0.56 loss or -1.47 dollars per share,
(Recap From 21st June Rise & Shine)
This morning, the Australian stock market is projected to start Monday lower. The ASX 200 is predicted to open the day 111 points or 1.52 percent lower, according to the latest SPI futures.
Today on the ASX Wrap up:
Energy (XEJ) -1.95%
- Oil Search Limited (OSH.ASX) Moving the lowest in the energy sector today, with a -3.23% move and closing to $3.900 per share.
- Santos Limited (STO.ASX) least loser today in the energy sector, declining -1.23% and closing to a price of $7.250 per share.
Financials Sector (XFJ) -3.42%
- National Australia Bank Limited (NAB.ASX) down -1.67% and closing to $26.870 per share.
- Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (CBA.ASX) down -5.43% and closing to a price of $98.060 per share.
Information Technology (XIJ) +0.18%
- Afterpay Limited (APT.ASX) up +2.46% and closing to $117.210 per share.
- Xero Limited (XRO.ASX) down -0.91% and closing to $140.960 per share.
|Brent Crude Oil||73.5||73.29||-0.24%||USD/BBL|
Post Market Thread Now Open
Due to feedback received, we have now re-designed our new DB Stock Forum 2.0. Our first forum had some issues; since then, we have created a new forum that is easier to use and faster. We are in the process of merging the users onto our new forum. However. For those who haven’t yet signed up for free. Feel free to create a FREE account by clicking here
Companies listed below are currently in a trading halt and are expected to resume trading within the next few trading days:
Variscan Mines (ASX:VAR) – capital raising
Resource Development Group (ASX:RDG) – ASX query
Immutep (ASX:IMM) – capital raising
BetMaker (ASX:BET) – acquisition
Coda Minerals (ASX:COD) – capital raising
Po Valley Energy (ASX:PVE) – capital raising
Admiralty Resources (ASX:ADY) – capital raising
Suda Pharmaceuticals (ASX:SUD) – capital raising
Montem Resources (ASX:MR1) – project report
Ragnar Metals (ASX:RAG) – exploration results
Strickland Metals (ASX:STK) – acquisition
Atrum Coal (ASX:ATU) – project report
TNT Mines (ASX:TIN) – exploration results
Silk Laser (ASX:SLA) – capital raising
Bitcoin: US$37,804.22 down -3.99% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Ethereum: US$2,350.46 down -4.47% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Dogecoin: US$0.303100 down -3.36% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Stay connected on Facebook.
Our Facebook group has grown substantially, don’t miss out on sharing your thoughts with others and being a part of the DB team! Click the image beside this text.
- As states tighten their borders, South Australia has joined Queensland in prohibiting visitors from Sydney’s Waverly Council. – 9 News
- Dong Jingwei, a Chinese spy, ‘defects to the West while delivering Covid secrets.’ – News
- The Premier has refused to rule out imposing additional limitations on NSW. – News
- The UK is attacked by a ‘third covid wave,’ as the Delta type spreads throughout more than 80% of the country. – News
- The NSW COVID outbreak has prompted a testing alert, with the Premier aiming for 40,000 swabs each day. – ABC
- ‘No one can guarantee your money,’ says a crypto expert. – Yahoo
Today’s Biggest Nano – Mid Cap Gainers
Post market we provide an update with the market movers above 5% (nano – mid market cap)
Nano-Cap ASX Gainers– Above 5%
Today’s ASX Market Wrap up in the Nano ASX Cap gainers. ZEU finished today up +20.90% with a market volume of just over ~4 million shares traded.
Micro-Cap ASX Gainers– Above 5%
Today micro-cap gainers. REY moving the highest with a +23.08% gain on closing today and a total share volume of just over ~21 thousand shares traded today.
Small-Cap ASX Market Gainers – Above 5%
Today small-cap gainers. ACW moving the highest with a +19.23% gain on closing today and a total share volume of just over ~20.4 million shares traded today.
Mid-Cap ASX Market Gainers – Above 2%
Today mid-cap gainers. MP1 moving the highest with a +2.27% gain on closing today and a total share volume of just over ~1.6 million shares traded today.
That is today’s ASX wrap-up; as always, stay safe and happy trading.
Want something added to the rise & shine? Leave a comment below.
Learn to invest in yourself before the market: