ASX today – wrap up, a sea of red as energy pulls through
Good afternoon! Here is a quick summary:
In the last hours of trading, the Aussie market staged a recovery, although, on the closing bell, the ASX finished 68.1pts or 0.93% lower to 7273.30, a slight bounce recovery from the low of 7226.00. Today, most sectors in the red, apart from the energy sector, managed to close in the green with the XEJ moving +0.08%, paying particular attention to Viva Energy Group Limited (VEA.ASX) biggest gainer moving 5.08% close on an operations update announcement.
(This morning ASX’s Rise & Shine)
On Thursday, US stock markets fell from record highs as investors worried that the spread of Covid-19 variations could derail the global economic recovery. Shares of Goldman Sachs (-2.4%) and JPMorgan Chase (-1.78%) both declined.
The Dow Jones moved lower Thursday with a -0.75% move or -259.86 points. The S&P 500 also, moving -0.86% or -37.31 points. Based on technology, the Nasdaq followed overnight, closing with a -0.72% loss or -105.28 points.
US treasury yields
On Thursday, 10-year rates fell to 1.25 percent, their lowest level since February 16, as market concerns grew that the best part of the economic recovery may be over. The yield on the 10-year US Treasury note fell 3 basis points to approximately 1.29 percent. In addition, US 2-year rates dropped 2 basis points to about 0.195 percent.
(This morning ASX’s Rise & Shine)
This morning, the Australian stock market is projected to start Friday Lower. The ASX 200 is predicted to open the day 48 points or 0.66 percent lower today, according to the latest SPI futures.
Today on the ASX Wrap up:
Energy Sector (XSJ) +0.08%
- Top gainer – Viva Energy Group Limited (VEA.ASX) +5.08% and closing to a price of $2.070 per share.
- Lowest gainer –Washington H Soul Pattinson & Company Limited (SOL.ASX) -1.29% and closing to $33.600 per share.
Financials Sector (XFJ) -0.9%
- National Australia Bank Limited (NAB.ASX) -0.5% and closing to $26.080 per share.
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA.ASX) -0.9% and closing to a price of $98.590 per share.
Information Technology (XIJ) -2.84%
- Afterpay Limited (APT.ASX) -4.97% and closing to $117.510 per share.
- Xero Limited (XRO.ASX) -1.84% and closing to $134.280 per share.
|Brent Crude Oil||74.26||76.03||-0.13%||USD/BBL|
Post Market Thread Now Open
Due to feedback received, we have now re-designed our new DB Stock Forum 2.0. Our first forum had some issues; since then, we have created a new forum that is easier to use and faster. We are in the process of merging the users onto our new forum. However. For those who haven’t yet signed up for free. Feel free to create a FREE account by clicking here
Companies listed below are currently in a trading halt and are expected to resume trading within the next few trading days:
Crater Gold Mining (ASX:CGN) – acquisition
Food Revolution Group (ASX:FOD) – management change
Talon Energy (ASX:TPD) – project update
Rural Funds (ASX:RFF) – capital raising
KneoMedia (ASX:KNM) – capital raising
Okapi Resources (ASX:OKR) – capital raising
BMG Resources (ASX:BMG) – capital raising
Sayona Mining (ASX:SYA) – capital raising
Bitcoin: US$32,850.26 -1.11% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Ethereum: US$2,120.33 -4.43% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Dogecoin: US$0.204671 -5.85% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
- Although Pfizer’s delivery times have improved, the total quantity of vaccinations accessible by the end of 2021 will remain unchanged. – News
- After a record 44 instances, NSW tightens restrictions and may extend lockdown. – News
- Heavy rain is expected to continue over the weekend in NSW. – 9 News
- Employers will search the online histories of more than two million Australians. – News
- NSW is considering allowing Delta to roam freely in the community. News
- On Friday, NSW Police will undertake a large operation in south-western Sydney to ensure that public health orders are followed. – ABC
- During the third week of Sydney’s lockdown, more people will get a $500 assistance payment. – News
- As south-west Sydney confronts stricter restrictions, NSW is bracing for a surge in cases. – News
- The United States and European governments have condemned Iran’s decision to produce uranium metal. – Ajazeera
- In Israel, a Pfizer vaccination has been found to prevent serious sickness as Delta cases spread. – News
- The lockdown in Greater Sydney will be prolonged until July 16th. – News
- Mum died after becoming ‘trapped’ inside a charity clothing bin in a shopping centre parking lot. – News
- A new fast spreading Covid strain has hit Australia. – News
- Despite pressure on the state government to lift restrictions, experts believe the Sydney lockdown may need to be extended. – News
- Australia has paid AstraZeneca hundreds of millions of dollars for COVID-19 vaccinations. However, the agreement is a ‘national security’ secret. – ABC
- A deal has been made to liberate a ship that had been blocking the Suez Canal. – 9 News
Today’s Biggest Nano – Mid Cap Gainers
Post-market we provide an update with the market movers above 5% (nano – mid-market cap)
Nano-Cap ASX Gainers– Above 5%
Today’s ASX Market Wrap up Nano ASX Cap gainers:
Micro-Cap ASX Gainers– Above 5%
Today’s micro-cap gainers:
Small-Cap ASX Market Gainers – Above 5%
Today small-cap gainers:
Mid-Cap ASX Market Gainers – Above 3%
Today mid-cap gainers:
That is today’s ASX wrap-up; as always, stay safe and happy trading.
Want something added to the rise & shine? Leave a comment below.
Learn to invest in yourself before the market: