ASX today – wrap up, second red day as materials sector falls the most
Good afternoon! Here is a quick summary:
The Australian stock market fell for a second day, the S&P/ ASX200 shedding another 33.80 points, or 0.46 percent, again following similar movements in the United States on Monday due to concerns of COVID’s Delta variant’s spread. Most sectors finished red today, whilst Health care, consumer staples, consumer discretionary, and information technology managed to finish in the green. Materials fell the most today, experiencing a 1.82% loss as Nickel Mines Limited fell 6.2%.
(This morning ASX’s Rise & Shine)
On Monday, US markets dipped further on fears that rising Covid19 Delta case numbers could lead to more lockdowns and a longer economic recovery. The Energy sector was also hampered by a 7% drop in oil prices (-3.6 percent ). Airlines were down 3.8 percent, banks were down 3.3 percent, and the Hotel and Restaurants index was down 2.7 percent. This week, investors are expecting more earnings reports.
The Dow Jones moved lower with a -2.09% move or -725.810 points. The S&P 500, moving -1.59% or -68.670 points. Based on technology, the Nasdaq was down overnight, closing with a -1.06% loss or -152.253 points.
(This morning ASX’s Rise & Shine)
This morning, the Australian stock market is projected to start Tuesday lower. The ASX 200 is predicted to open the day 68 points or 0.94 percent lower today, according to the latest SPI futures.
Today on the ASX Wrap up:
Health Care Sector (XHJ) +0.91%
- Top gainer – Mesoblast Limited (MSB.ASX) +3.18% and closing to a price of $1.945 per share.
- Lowest gainer – Sonic Healthcare Limited (SHL.ASX) -1.31% and closing to $39.590 per share.
Financials Sector (XFJ) -0.26%
- National Australia Bank Limited (NAB.ASX) -0.7% and closing to $25.470 per share.
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA.ASX) -0.07% and closing to a price of $97.610 per share.
Information Technology (XIJ) +0.38%
- Afterpay Limited (APT.ASX) +1.64% and closing to $106.620 per share.
- Xero Limited (XRO.ASX) +1.7% and closing to $141.000 per share.
|Brent Crude Oil||69.06||73.13||0.01%||USD/BBL|
Post Market Thread Now Open
Due to feedback received, we have now re-designed our new DB Stock Forum 2.0. Our first forum had some issues; since then, we have created a new forum that is easier to use and faster. We are in the process of merging the users onto our new forum. However. For those who haven’t yet signed up for free. Feel free to create a FREE account by clicking here
Companies listed below are currently in a trading halt and are expected to resume trading within the next few trading days:
Australian Strategic Materials (ASX:ASM) – investment in Dubbo Project
Woomera Mining (ASX:WML) – drilling results and price query
Total Brain Limited (ASX:TTB) – capital raising
Jervois Mining (ASX:JRV) – acquisition and equity raising
Helios Energy (ASX:HE8) – capital raising
Kula Gold (ASX:KGD) – capital raising
Ragnar Metals (ASX:RAG) – exploration results
Bitcoin: US$29,756.91 -6.56% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Ethereum: US$1,760.76 -7.75% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data),
Dogecoin: US$0.165271 -8.09% in 24hrs (Taken from Coindesk data)
- Sydney removalists mourn mum after Covid death – News
- As the number of cases rises, the Victoria covid lockdown may be prolonged. – News
- Project hosts shocked by guest’s grim prediction for Sydney lockdown – News
- As NSW registers 97 covid cases, tougher restrictions may be on the way. – News
- As the outbreak grows to 16 patients, Victoria will be put on lockdown. – News
- The required mask regulation has been reinstated as Victoria’s COVID-19 exposure locations and case numbers escalate. – ABC
- A nurse at Sydney’s Westmead Hospital has tested positive for COVID-19, and a positive case has also been found at Liverpool Hospital. – ABC
- Three communities in remote NSW have been placed on high alert due to fears of the virus spreading. – News
- As the state of New South Wales prepares to extend the lockdown, there is a call for stricter restrictions. – News
- Vaccine specialists advise patients in outbreak areas to get their second vaccination as soon as possible. COVID-19 dosage from AstraZeneca. – ABC
- A millionaire was punished after allegedly departing the state of New South Wales on a superyacht. – News
Today’s Biggest Nano – Mid Cap Gainers
Post-market we provide an update with the market movers above 5% (nano – mid-market cap)
Nano-Cap ASX Gainers– Above 5%
Today’s ASX Market Wrap up Nano ASX Cap gainers:
Micro-Cap ASX Gainers– Above 5%
Today’s micro-cap gainers:
Small-Cap ASX Market Gainers – Above 5%
Today small-cap gainers:
Mid-Cap ASX Market Gainers – Above 3%
Today mid-cap gainers:
That is today’s ASX wrap-up; as always, stay safe and happy trading.
Want something added to the rise & shine? Leave a comment below.
Learn to invest in yourself before the market: